SHRINE LIBRARY CAVELET #4
A LOVE SPELL FOR YOU
On paper or cardboard draw a "Lovestar Layout," as follows: Make a picture of a large heart. Next draw six circles around the rim of the heart: one at the apex for Aphrodite, one at the bottom point for Demeter, and two along each side of the heart's curves for Athene and Hecate on the left, and Iris and Diana on the right. Make these circles large enough to include a five pointed star in each one, with names written across each of the arms. These names will invoke five basic qualities related to the Goddesses of each Lovestar. They will also correspond with the five elements of Air, Fire, Earth, Water and Spirit. The top point of each star corresponds to Spirit. The point to the right is for Air. Lower right is Fire. Lower left is Earth. Upper left is Water. (This arrangement represents the order of manifestation.) Write the following names into each of the stars (explanations included):
1) At the apex of the heart is Aphrodite's Lovestar. The names are Poetry in Air, Power in Fire, Beauty in Earth, Passion in Water, and Immortality in Spirit. The placement at the apex of the heart, where we usually begin to draw this shape, shows that the entire relationship springs from Aphrodite's gift of falling in love. This is the limerant part of the relationship, and displays what I feel are the five primary qualities of true love. In a spell for true love, invoke these qualities. In a reading, check to see if they are present, and/or what state they are in. You can also ask the cards for guidance in solving problems.
2) At the upper right of the heart's curve is the Communication Lovestar of the Goddess Iris, with Mirroring in Air, Speaking Up in Fire, Validation in Earth, Listening in Water, and Telepathy in Spirit. A spell will invoke these for healthy communication. A reading will show you if there are difficulties here, and what to do about them. To Mirror is to repeat back to your partner what you think they said and meant. When processing issues, this helps prevent misunderstandings and gives you both a chance to clarify what was said if need be.
3) On the lower right of the heart's curve is the Independence Lovestar of the Goddess Diana, with Freedom in Air, Courage in Fire, Discipline in Earth, Self-Love in Water, and Self-Reliance in Spirit. Diana (or Artemis) is an Amazon, known for Her strength and power. For a healthy relationship some independence and freedom is needed. Invoke Diana/Artemis to help with this, and to keep it in balance with the mergings and sharings of passionate love.
4) At the bottom point of the heart is the Nurturing Lovestar of the Goddess Demeter, with Intimacy in Air, Partnership in Fire, Boundaries in Earth, Nurturing in Water, and Commitment in Spirit. This star is placed at the base of the heart, to show that its qualities form the foundation or roots of the relationship and give it stability.
5) On the lower left is the Dark Lovestar of Hecate, with Naming in Air, Facing the Dark Side or Transformation in Fire, Death-and-Birth of Passion in Earth, Solitude in Water, and Magic in Spirit. This is the Crone part of the relationship. Naming is about finding language to describe whatever it is you may be going through with your partner. Often it is the beginning of understanding and problem solving. Facing the Dark Side means having the courage and commitment to work together on the problems that inevitably will surface. It's also about accepting each other's darkness...old wounds and limitations...as well as one's own... and working to heal them. The Earth arm of this star, Death-and-Birth of Passion is about the cyclical nature of those deep feelings. When we understand this, we can let them go when they ebb, knowing they will return, and welcome them when they do. The Water arm is about taking some Solitude and separateness from each other; essential to preserve health and passion. Magic is what we are doing here, and can greatly enhance any relationship. This can take the form of divination, spells, rituals, and so on. I recommend at least one ritual each moon to call on the Goddesses for help to keep the relationship strong and good.
6) On the upper left is the Reason Lovestar of Athene with Communication in Air, Process in Fire, Honesty in Earth, Compassion in Water, and Respect in Spirit. Now we can understand Athene to be working in partnership with Aphrodite, instead of in competition, as patriarchal myth would have us do. Passion and Reason can work together to bring balance instead of being in opposition.
This heart-shaped design can serve as a model for a loving Aphrodite relationship. It can also be used as a layout for tarot readings or other forms of divination, so that you can see how things are going, what, if needed, can be changed for the better, and how this might be accomplished. In addition, it can be used as a love charm or spell to help bring a balanced and successful lovership. To attract new love, heal, or affirm an existing connection, use this drawing for visualization, affirmation, and support from the Goddesses named.
There are many ways you can use this graphic for spell-casting. You can place it on your altar and spend some time with it each day. Call on the Goddesses named, ask them to help bring you a love-connection that encompasses the qualities shown. Meditate on each aspect and visualize ways that they can manifest for you and your beloved. For extra pzazz, color the entire chart, using hues that correspond to the elements. For example: Blue for Air, Red for Fire, Green for Earth, Purple for Water, Gold for Spirit. Color the heart a deep and vibrant red; color the background too, in a shade of your choice, perhaps deep rose or violet.
For a love charm you can draw the six Lovestars on separate slips of parchment or other special paper. These stars too can be colored in. Tuck them into a pouch, along with magical objects corresponding to the qualities you are invoking. For instance: for Aphrodite's qualities of true love, you could include a poem for Poetry, an invoking goddess-figurine for Power, a tiny mirror for Beauty, some rose petals for Passion, a crystal for Immortality. Herbs and stones are also appropriate for all charms.
BACK TO TOP